Continuing with my series of fluff posts, I present my favorite musical selections. All are available via Amazon MP3. Can you tell I like Amazon? I tried itunes, it just was too invasive and never did what I wanted in an efficient way.
First some technical information. I use Winamp on my PC. I paid for the full version and can rip my old CDs as I find them. My MP3 player is a Sansa e280. It’s a bare bones, super simple 8gig device. It will play some videos, but I haven’t put any one it. It also has an FM player. I mainly use it in the car (playing through the car speakers) or when I travel. (Note: I have found that earbuds DO NOT handle aircraft noises very well. Either sit as far away from the engines and wings as possible, or get some over the ear headphones.
OK, on to the music.
Single items (just good songs)
- Love and Rockets – So Alive — There’s just something compelling about this song. I’ve always liked it.
- Fountains of Wayne – Stacy’s Mom — same thing… of course the video helped with that.
- Contact – Coming Home (Major Tom) – best cover I’ve ever heard of this song. Better than the original. X-boy can sing this… his voice is worse than mine and that’s really saying something.
- Europe – The Final Countdown 0 classic
- Linkin Park – What I’ve Done – a song that was featured on the first Transformers disappointment. The song is great though. X-boy can almost sing it.
- Moby – Extreme Ways and Made of Stars — only two songs worth it. The rest are just meh.
- Daft Punk – Tron Legacy Soundtrack — This is some stunning music. Say what you want about the movie (which I enjoyed), the soundtrack is amazing. My understanding is that the video was edited around the soundtrack rather than vice versa, giving the sound much more influence on the perception of the movie
- Dannii Minogue – Neon Nights — this has most of her best work on it and honestly some tracks aren’t that good, but some are great. This isn’t quite Eurodance, but it’s close.
- Kate Ryan – Alive and Free — This is fantastic Eurodance. She sings in English, French, and German. Different is also OK, but nearly as good as Alive and Free. If you like dance music at all, she’s a must have.
- Kylie Minogue – all of them — yeah, OK, I like sisters. Kylie is a way better singer than Dannii, unfortunately, her writers give her a few dogs. Every album has one or two bad ones. Fever is by far the best of her albums, though Aphrodite is a close second. X is the worst. If you like her older stuff (80s and 90s), then I suggest Light Years. It’s a cheap 2 disk set and has some great mixes and he classics.
- Becky Baeling – stunning dance music. She has a cover of Belinda Carlisle that’s better than Belinda’s. She only has one album, but every song is worth it.
- Iio – Poetica – this is great music and Nadia is a fantastic singer, I just wish I could understand what she’s singing. It has to be very quiet and you really have to pay attention to her lyrics, but when you do… wow.
- Cascada – I love Nat’s voice (Cascada is the group, not the singer), but again, she gets some of the worst lyrics. The songs that have decent lyrics are well worth it. I will say that she has a voice for Eurodance, not ballads… just skip them. Trust me.
- Sylver – Nighttime Calls and Crossroads — fantastic dance music. Epic dance music.
So that’s pretty much it for my current faves. If you were to only get one album, well it’s a toss up between Becky Baeling, Kate Ryan’s Alive and Sylver Nighttime calls. None of those will do you wrong.