I’ve posted several questions that ID proponents always run away from in other blog posts and various forums, so I thought I might consolidate them in one place.
If any pro-ID person wishes to answer them, I could be persuaded to post the response. Please understand that handwaving, “that’s not relevant”, non-answers, links to non-peer-reviewed material, and the like will not be considered answers.
If any pro-science person wishes to add to the list, post in the comments and, if there are several, I’ll update the post itself.
Part of the reason for this is that ID proponents demand levels of detail and knowledge from science that they refuse to provide about their own theory. Often, they demand that scientists disprove them, when they have failed to even show that their notion is even possible.
Questions after the break in 3… 2… 1…
- Can you distinguish a non-designed thing from a designed thing of the same class and size?
- If so, please describe the process in detail (such that anyone with high school algebra skills will be able to copy your work) and include your success rate over multiple trials (you have done this multiple times right?). If you need to practice, I can provide blind or (probably) double-blind examples for you to work with.
- Please describe, in a sufficient amount of detail (see the graphics here for examples) the history of life on Earth. Be sure to include points where the designer acted.
- Provide unambiguous evidence for #3 above.
- Explain how to calculate complexity, include process, units of measure, and examples.
- From #5 above, what values indicate design? Why?
- From #5 above, what values indicate non-design? Why?
- Explain how to calculate the information content of an organic system. (Include a sufficiently detailed description so that your readers will know that you understand the difference between information and meaning.)
- From #8 prove mathematically that evolution cannot increase the information content.
- What/Who is the designer(s)? What is the evidence for this?
- What are the designers’ limits? (whole universe, just Earth, just life, just meddling in some life?) What is the evidence for this?
- When did the designer(s) first act? What is the evidence for this?
- When did the designer(s) last act? What is the evidence for this?
- What did the designer(s) do when he/she/it last acted? What is the evidence for this?
- Given that non-intelligent sources can be responsible for complexity, why must the designer be intelligent (especially considering the poor design choices made in living things)?
- Given that non-intelligent sources can be responsible for irreducibly complex systems, why are IR systems considered to be evidence for design?
- Given that the diversity of life needs to be explained, please describe a lesson plan of 3-5 days in length that explains how you would teach Intelligent Design to a high school biology class. Because of Texas law, you must include a minimum of 40% lab time (1 day for a three-day unit and 2 days for a 5 day unit). This lab must show, unambiguously, that ID works.
- What are the principles of Intelligent Design? Include in your answer evidence that the leaders of the ID movement don’t know what they are talking about when they unambiguously say that ID is religion.
- What are some of the tools developed by or because of ID principles?
- How do they work and what do they do?
- Why do no biology based businesses use ID principles in their work?
- Why are there no research labs working on ID?
- Why do ID proponents push for ID in high schools, instead of providing the evidence that supports ID so that it will be accepted everywhere?
- Why do Pro-Intelligent Design bills push for an examination of the “controversial nature” of evolution, but not Newton/Einstein or String Theory/Loop Quantum Gravity or Dark Matter/MOND (which are way more controversial? Add to this why, often, stem cells, human cloning, and global warming are included, but the ones I mentioned above are not.
- How do the predictions and/or observations differ in a significant way from what evolutionary theory and other sciences predict or observe. In your answer, be sure to provide that you know enough about what the real version of evolutionary theory is, don’t use the strawman version that you or someone else made up to specifically attack evolution.